Monday, November 12, 2012

Veteran's Day Part II: Dad and Rice

By TONYA KIPPLE
Director's of Children's Ministry

Yesterday, I introduced you to my Dad. I had a hard time writing that blog. It made me sad, and wish that my Dad was alive. I could tell him how much he meant to me and how much I appreciate all he did for me growing up.

Shortly after writing that blog, I was somewhat ungratefully eating my dinner of rice and black beans and sorting through some files (I think in an attempt to distract myself from yet another dinner of rice and beans).  I discovered an envelope with some papers in it that I had not seen before.  Curious, I rifled through the many pages and realized it was largely copies of legal papers. However, at the very bottom of the pile, I discovered a narrative that my Dad had written in 2002.  I hungrily read numerous recollections about boyhood experiences growing up in New York State, his time in the Coast Guard and Army, and especially his stories about flying helicopters and planes in Vietnam.   It was like discovering parts of my Dad’s life that I had never known.  It was a balm, a salve, for my sorrowful soul.

It was a tender moment.  In a movie, there would have been soft music playing in the background and a beautiful hand–embroidered handkerchief would be dabbing the tears gently flowing down my cheeks.  Until . . . . I read the following memory and burst into laughter!

“Late in 1966, Bill and I flew two aircraft to Khe San without co-pilots for the purpose of evacuating a command group if it appeared that the enemy would overrun that base. We were there for nearly two weeks in heavy monsoon weather with minimum rations – cooked rice and string beans for breakfast, rice with sliced beets for lunch and a real treat for dinner – cooked rice with string beans and beets! Rice and I are strangers to this day.”


I had the giggles that entire evening!  The timing was perfect as I had just taken a bite of rice.  Isn’t it just like God to abundantly bless you when you least expect it? To replace tears with laughter?   Let’s just say that I was more grateful that evening for my bowl of rice – and for Dad’s bowls of rice – than I ever expected.  Wonder if Dad had the giggles up in heaven as well?

Dear Jesus,
Thank you for Chicken. Thank you for Beans. For Avocadoes, Tomatoes, Citrus and Bananas. Most of all, thank you for RICE (and laughter!).  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment