Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Confession of Gluttony!

By Brent James
Lead Pastor

My body wasn't real pleased with me Sunday night.  Maybe it was the cheeseburger, maybe it was the ice cream cookie, maybe it was Halloween candy.  Let's be honest, there was a lot for my body to resist yesterday. Truth be told, I was a glutton! I'd gone without for 6 days and I wanted to taste everything that I had missed.  And I came pretty darn close to meeting my goal.  But it didn't make me happy, in fact, the more I ate, the less satisfied I became.  Isn't that always the way with idolatry.

I think the real bummer is that yesterday I lost track of the important thing - rather than to celebrate my abundance and have fun with God, I was determined to squeeze in every flavor that my stomach would allow.  Instead of a party, I plowed away; instead of saying “Thank you!” I said, "Are you going to finish that?"  To be honest, coming back to the fast today, I feel like I'm back in rhythm, my mind is focused back upon the kids of the Dominican Republic and not so much on what's for dinner (rice - if you needed to ask).  What was very hard at the beginning has become the place I instinctively want to go now.

It's good to know that God's grace will carry me.  I'm confessing to you and to God that I ate more yesterday than I should have, and if you confess your sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us.

And that gives me a good reason to celebrate!

Prayer requests for today:

  • Pray for Marvin Nelson our Facilities Director - recovering from a hip replacement surgery.
  • Pray for God to place a burning in our congregation's heart for the tax-collectors and the sinful women of our times.
  • Pray that God would supply all of our church's needs according to His riches in glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment