Sunday, October 14, 2012

Desire is in the minutia


By Tonya Kipple
Director of Children's Ministry
My husband is cooking beef on the grill right now -- yes, beef.  I have not had beef for six days and it is smelling delicious.  Goodness gracious, pass the mashed potatoes and let's eat!

After listening to Wendy Brown's wonderful presentation to the Kindergarten-sixth graders about the DR, I am feeling guilty about that beef.  During this fast, our feast day is Sunday.  When do the kids in the DR get a feast day?  Does it ever happen?  Does their feast even remotely resemble what we all would consider a normal Sunday dinner?

I truly appreciate what was written in the PBF email this week.  If you have not experienced hunger, boredom or temptation during this fast then perhaps you might need to rethink your choices.  Can I just be honest and say that I have had to rethink and re-do some of my choices? It is amazing how I can rationalize some of those "inconsequential" decisions.  I don't think the danger for me was in the desire for a huge plate of pasta -- that is an OBVIOUS cheat!  The desire was in the minutia.  What struck me powerfully today was that the poor have no power over making some of those "cheats".  They are simply not a possibility or reality.  If one of the major goals of this fast was to gain a connection, a perspective, with the poor, then I think maybe a little lightbulb just went on in my head.

Suddenly that beef is not as attractive as it was a few minutes ago.

Dear Jesus,
Help me to be content and appreciative for what I have. Help me grow a heart for those in need. Teach me how to reach out in your Name. Thank you for your love for all people everywhere.  Help me to know what to pray for.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment