Saturday, October 20, 2012

Self-denial is different than life without

By Associate Pastor Andy Chinn
Youth

The question that is constantly popping up in my mind is, “Why is this so difficult?”

Even on the first day of the fast, when I had a large bowl of rice and chicken for lunch, my body pushed me to want to give up and cave in. Why is it so difficult? I spent two months in West Africa eating rice and chicken most every day, and I can’t remember a time in those two months were I felt so frustrated. In comparing and contrasting these two moments in my life, God has revealed to me the difference between having to live without, and self-denial. A newborn sympathy has emerged in my heart toward the wealthy. It’s easy to judge from my position, and wonder how “they” can live with so much when others, like those we are reading about, live with so little. From this experience I have gathered that self-denial is tremendously difficult. Whether it’s doing without a third summer home or changing what I eat. However, the call of every Christian is to deny himself, pick up his cross, and follow Jesus.

1 John Chapter 5:1-5 gives me a picture into my own heart regarding why it is so difficult to choose to go without.

5 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves the father loves his child as well. 2 This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out his commands. 3 In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, 4 for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. 5 Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.

This is how the author’s idea makes most sense in light of my experience:
* Verse 5 demonstrates that those who believe in Jesus have overcome the world.
* We have overcome the world, because we have been born of God through faith (verse 1).
* To who have been born of God, obeying God’s commands shouldn’t be burdensome as a result of us overcoming the world (verse 3).
* God’s commands become difficult when we choose not to live out our identities as His children but live as citizens of this world.

Conclusion: Self-denial is how we should respond to our lives in this world. However, we are not to deny our true selves. Be a Child of God and love others and obey God’s commands.

No comments:

Post a Comment