Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A FAST answer to prayer

In A Place at the Table:  
Day Three: Tools
Please pray for today's Dominican Republic child:
Christopher Medina

PBF Devotion

By Tonya Kipple
Children's Ministry Director
Tonya Kipple struggles with fasting joy.

I love all the food on the 40-day fast. In any given month, our family consumes these foods items multiple times. No problem, right? Well, as many of us have "sacrificed" today, and "only" eaten the approved fast food (not talking about McDonald's here) did anyone else feel deprived? Hungry for your snack foods? Wishing you had not totally committed to something quite this difficult? Found yourself making exceptions or re-thinking your dietary necessities? I did. Just a bit of a pity party. Not really a party, but more like a small social gathering.

I was reminded today of a story that a friend told me more than 25 years ago. There was a time in her life when she was raising four children by herself on a meager income.  The day arrived when the cupboards - and the refrigerator - were bare.  All she had was a stick of butter and a package of Jello. Totally despairing, she poured her heart out to God and asked for provision for her children.  It was truly a "give us this day our daily bread" prayer.  She left the house to take her hungry children to school with teary eyes. Upon returning home, there were bags and bags of groceries on her doorstep left anonymously. Talk about a FAST answer to prayer! 

As I remember that story, my complaining spirit seems pretty pitiful and I realized that a change of heart was in order.  I should not view this fast as something being taken away from me.  I should have an attitude of thanksgiving and praise for what God has provided. My prayer for daily bread should not just be for my own consumption but also for those in such desperate need. Thank you God for re-focusing this fast for me. 

As we pray for the children in the DR who do not daily experience all the creature comforts that we take for granted, may our hearts be keenly focused on the following:
  • Thankfulness for God's daily provision in our lives.
  • A desire to help those less fortunate than ourselves.
  • An openness to what God is trying to teach us through this experience. 
  • Gratefulness for the 64 children who attended Jammin' In Your Jammies this past Friday. Half of the children who attended were guests of those who regularly attend PBF! 
  • Praise for the upcoming special presentation by COTN for our K-6th graders this next Sunday. Our elementary-aged children will be learning about "A Place At The Table" as well, and also being introduced to the I Love Baseball program. What a wonderful thing for families to learn and grow together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment