Monday, October 8, 2012

A foodie starts a fast

Day 2 
Place the Table Reading: Miracle Bread
Today we pray for Anderson Mateo


From Pastor Brent James

Today we are on the journey.

 Last night while I was reading the Day 1 devotion,  I had this thought, "Oh Brent, what have you got yourself into?"  I'm a foodie by nature.  I haven't been here in Kitsap quite yet a year and I could tell you my favorite places to get treats and some of my favorite restaurants. I was going to list some of those places and then thought, that's just cruel. Food is what I do!  It's what makes life better for me.  It's amazing how great food can make a day great and how the knowledge that you're going to be without great food by and large for 40 days can make life seem a little bland.  I have to remind myself that what I DO have for the next 40 days is a chance to grow closer to God.  When my stomach grumbles, I can be reminded of the kids in the Dominican Republic. But I can also use that grumble jumble to press into Jesus, and to pray for the needs of the D.R., to pray for the needs of Peninsula Bible Fellowship and to pray for the needs of my family and my home.  

Today I'm praying for a young man named Anderson Mateo who is a part of the I Love Baseball Program.  I'm praying for Peninsula Bible Fellowship that God would give us the grace we need to confess our sins and to humble ourselves.  I pray that God would give us a compassion and a zeal for the flourishing of the church and reaching the lost, both here in Kitsap County and in the D.R..  And that God would give us a yearning to know God, to see His face, to grab a glimpse of His glory.  I'm grateful this morning for the way that grapefruit and rice are aiding that cause!

No comments: